Whittaker's Traditional English Fish and Chips, Urmston, Manchester

 


The top-hatted fish on the sign outside reminded me of the one doffing a bowler at the Fryer’s Delight in London. I am impressed by a dapper haddock.

On this occasion I hadn’t made a purposeful journey to this chippy but happened to be passing and required sustenance. I was on the move so decided to have a quick treat of a cone-sized portion of chips with curry sauce. Given the option of regular or spicy curry, I went for spicy.


My snack was very satisfying. The chips had a homemade look about them - cut in irregular shapes and sizes.


The spicy curry was delicious. Especially when it mixed with some of the vinegar on the chips. Thick and smooth with a good kick to it.


The shop is conveniently situated near Urmston train station which would make it worth coming again to try a meal in the quaint-looking cafe. Whittaker’s has a Manchester egg on the menu: a pickled egg wrapped in black pudding and deep fried. I wouldn't mind trying that!






Comments