Holt Fish Bar, Holt, Norfolk

 


For quite a small old market town it is surprising that Holt has four fish 'n' chip shops. Yes four! Mind you it’s thankfully too genteel for a plethora of other more lower class takeaways to thrive! 


There’s Nelson Fries 4 U, Eric’s (which we were put off by after a disappointing visit to the Cambridgeshire branch), Albert’s (which was closed for refurbishment when we visited) and Holt Fish Bar. 

This is a smart chip shop with a modern but quaint feel that fits the sophistication of the town. There are tables inside and the fish is fried fresh to order. The portion control is excellent too.






I ordered a half cod and half chips. The perfect size for my tastes and a sensible lunchtime portion. I decided to have curry sauce with it. 

After waiting outside for 6 minutes my meal was ready and I walked to a small walled garden round the corner to find a bench.




The cod was a chunky fillet. Very moist and fresh with tempting big flakes. The batter was thin and crisp. 





The chips were medium cut and quite crispy on the outside. I was able to put my own salt and vinegar on to my own taste. The chips also tasted good when dipped into the curry sauce.




The curry must have been made to a homemade recipe. It tasted sweet and spicy but was a little too runny. Definitely more for dipping than pouring over as it would’ve run through the chips. It was also quite plentiful with sultanas!





Altogether a very good lunchtime meal.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 4

Chips: 4

Curry sauce: 4

Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4



Comments