Catch 32, Bakewell, Derbyshire

 



When the Chip Diaries last visited Bakewell I noticed that this chip shop usually opened at 4pm. However Catch 32 now opens for lunch at weekends. So I thought I’d give it a go.



The shop serves a special for £6.75 (Fish, chips and a side). I went for the special with curry sauce. The fish was fried to order so I waited a short few minutes then took my grub to the Sensory Garden to eat.





The fish was good. It had quite a dark batter but it was light and crisp and the fish inside was succulent.



I was very pleased to find that the curry was the Irish type! More and more chippies seem to have adopted this in the past year. It’s delicious - so try it if you see it anywhere.




Thankfully the sauce saved the chips. They were mediocre and disappointing. Some had the distinct look of being yesterdays leftovers. Why chip shops think they can get away with serving sub standard chips when the industry is so fragile at the moment I do not know. There’s strong competition in Bakewell - the other two chip shops often have queues.

Ratings out of 5:Fish: 4Curry sauce: 5Chips: 2Shop / service: 3Over all: 3




Comments